Berkeley and the New Deal (Images of America)
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
Berkeleys 1930s and early 1940s New Deal structures and projects left a lasting legacy of utilitarian and beautiful infrastructure. These public buildings, schools, parks, and artworks helped shape the city and thus the lives of its residents; it is hard to imagine Berkeley without them. The artists and architects of these projects mention several themes: working for the community, responsibility, the importance of government support, collaboration, and creating a cultural renaissance. These New Deal projects, however, can be called hidden history because their legacies have been mostly ignored and forgotten. Comprehending the impact of the New Deal on one American city is only possible when viewed as a whole. Berkeley might have gotten a little more or a little less New Deal funding than other towns, but this time it wasnt Bezerkeley but very much typical and mainstream. More than history, this book shows the periods relevance to todays social, political, and economic realities. The times may again call for comprehensive public policy that reaches Main Street.
from the original structure. Community pressure resulted in a more respectful and compatible design for the new addition. The University of California Printing Plant building is pictured in 1940, the first year it was opened. It is located across the street from the UC Berkeley campus. The building was designed in PWA Moderne style by San Francisco–based Masten & Hurd and completed in 1939 with $146,220 in support from the PWA. The rest of the total cost of $250,000 was paid by the university.
Architectural Heritage Association (BAHA), the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), the East Bay Regional Park District (EBRPD), the Berkeley Police Department Historical Unit (BPDHU), the Berkeley Public Library (BPL), the Berkeley Historical Society (BHS), the Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, FSA/OWI Collection (FSA/OWI), the University of California Museum of Paleontology at UC Berkeley (UCMP), and the WPA California Folk Music Project Collection, 1938–1940
building on Durant Avenue was originally a movie and vaudeville theater designed by Walter H. Ratcliff. (Kathleen Duxbury collection.) The Western Museum Laboratory was located in the former federal land bank on Fulton Street on the western edge of UC Berkeley, next to Edwards Field. The labor force consisted of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), National Park Service (NPS), and Works Progress Administration workers. There were generally about 100 people employed at the laboratory at any one
hills. Major work was done by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and WPA at the University of California (UC) Berkeley Botanical Garden and in Tilden Park, including the Tilden Regional Park Botanical Garden, the golf course, Lake Anza, and the Brazilian Room. The CCC camp in Strawberry Canyon came first in 1933. In 1935, Camp Wildcat Canyon was established in what is now Tilden Nature Area. Capacity for CCC camps was generally 200 young men. CCC workers built roads, culverts, shelters, and
improve public health in all dimensions and did so for generations. This book is a toast to the forgotten men and women whose innumerable gifts we have for so long unwittingly enjoyed. —Gray Brechin, author of Imperial San Francisco: Urban Power, Earthly Ruin and founder of the Living New Deal 6 Acknowledgments This book started with my 2010 exhibit at the Berkeley Historical Society, The 75th Anniversary of the WPA in Berkeley. Just as the New Deal was a collaborative effort, so was putting