Diamond Bar (Images of America)

Diamond Bar (Images of America)

City of Diamond Bar

Language: English

Pages: 128

ISBN: 1467131962

Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub


As with many Southern California communities, Diamond Bars recorded history began with a Spanish land grant. One of the areas first settlers was Jose de la Luz Linares, who founded Rancho Los Nogales (Ranch of the Walnut Trees) on the 4,340 acres granted to him by Mexican governor Juan Alvarado in 1840. The grant included Brea Canyon and the eastern Walnut Valley, a portion of which became the Diamond Bar Ranch, founded by Frederick E. Lewis II in 1918. In 1956, the area looked much as it did in 1840, its golden hills peppered with green stands of oak and walnut trees and grazed by large herds of cattle. In that year, the Transamerica Corporation paid $10 million for 8,000 acres of Brea Canyon, with plans to construct Southern Californias largest master-planned community and name it Diamond Bar. Incorporated on April 18, 1989, the city of Diamond Bar is home to nearly 55,000 residents and is located at the crossroads of the Orange (57) and Pomona (60) Freeways on the eastern edge of Los Angeles County.

The Everything American Revolution Book: From the Boston Massacre to the Campaign at Yorktown-all you need to know about the birth of our nation

California State Fair (Images of America)

The Edge Becomes the Center: An Oral History of Gentrification in the 21st Century

1932: The Rise of Hitler and FDR--Two Tales of Politics, Betrayal, and Unlikely Destiny

The Making of the President 1960

Edmund Burke in America: The Contested Career of the Father of Modern Conservatism

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lane. The Village Square center was located on Golden Springs Drive between Rancheria Road and Diamond Bar Boulevard. (Courtesy of Milan Dragojlovich and Frank Lew.) The Northminster Presbyterian Church became the first church to purchase land from the Transamerica Corporation. Once completed, the six-acre site—located at 400 Rancheria Road— consisted of education and worship facilities. Prior to completing the new facility (pictured) in May 1965, the congregation held services in a storefront

community provided scenic lots, private streets, streetlights, underground utilities, equestrian facilities, and permanent riding trails. The Country Estates equestrian development included the nation’s largest private covered horse show arena, with stables and four outdoor rings; a 150-acre recreation park; a tennis club; and several satellite recreation centers. 88 In 1965, Diamond Bar opened its own 6,000-square-foot post office in the Village Square Shopping Center, located at Golden

Ronald Foerstel, George Resh, Brenda Engdahl and Don Stokes. Not pictured is Richard Vind, who was appointed by Los Angeles County supervisor Pete Schabarum. The MAC unofficially met for the first time on November 5, 1976, at Chaparral Intermediate School to discuss bylaws and volunteer committees. Vind joined the MAC in December 1976, at which time the group became the official liaison group between the community and the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors. 106 Diamond Bar Municipal

and has since kept that title with an average of 720 employees. The facility is approximately 350,000 square feet and includes a two-story laboratory building, two office buildings (three and five stories high), and a 450-seat auditorium. When the AQMD board unveiled plans for new headquarters in December 1988, it was said to feature “futuristic” energy provisions such as solar energy and fuel cells. In August 2004, the AQMD headquarters made news when it unveiled one of its first hydrogen

Tavern, and below are the Caldwell & Brothers General Store and the Spadra post office. (Both, courtesy of the Huntington Library.) 22 A hand-drawn map of Spadra (above) shows the location of the town’s roads and some of the early buildings, including the Rubottom hotel and tavern, the Spadra School (below) that was located on the northeast corner of present-day Pomona Boulevard and Temple Avenue, and the post office that first used the name Spadra on its mail. (Above, courtesy of HSPV and

Download sample

Download