Early Ontario (Images of America)
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
George and William Chaffey, immigrants from Canada, founded a model colony in Southern California in 1882. They named their settlement Ontario, from an Iroquois term meaning beautiful water, not only to pay homage to their home province but to also draw other Canadians to their colony. Utilizing forward-thinking irrigation practices, the brothers laid out plots of land ready for colonists who wanted to farm or raise citrus groves. After just four years, the brothers left for Australia to develop more settlements and passed their model colony on to Charles Frankish and his partners of the Ontario Land and Improvement Company. From its earliest days, the colony became known for its citrus groves, Armstrong roses, Graber olives, Guasti grapes, and the Hotpoint iron. This book, which includes nearly 200 images, focuses on the colonys early development.
citrus industry, was initially done primarily by Asian workers before there was a large migration of Mexican and Mexican American workers in the late 1910s and 1920s as a result of exclusionary laws. These workers were not allowed to live in the company town and were housed in labor camps south of the property. Secondo Guasti, who died in 1927, left the family business to his son Secondo Guasti II. In poor health, Secondo II died in 1934, and his mother, Louisa, died in 1937. The Italian Vineyard
the new city until his death in 1931. In 1887, during the big Southern California land boom, Edmund and Alfred Bedford purchased 200 acres of colony lands at $500 per acre from the Ontario Land and Improvement Company. Together with their four brothers, they formed a partnership to develop their own town site to the north of Ontario, located just above what are now the Santa Fe Railroad tracks, and named it North Ontario. It was also referred to as Magnolia. They immediately began grading streets
and provided space within the plant for both a cafeteria and a store run by the club. The club also worked with the company to develop tennis courts, croquet grounds, and later, a baseball diamond. A library was started in 1913, and in 1915, many female employees organized the Triangle Club to promote physical health and social improvement. In 1916, the company determined that the space provided for these clubs within the plant was needed to expand production, so the construction of a dedicated
earthquake. In 1936, it was replaced by the current building, which was built with Works Progress Administration funds and is now called Euclid School (below). Homer Briggs began his career as a sixth-grade teacher at Euclid School in 1935. He was the first male elementary school teacher hired in the Ontario School District. He became superintendent of the Ontario-Montclair School District in 1951 and retired in 1972. 106 San Antonio Grammar School (above) was built at the corner of D Street
picked fruit in the fields, which was then transported to packinghouses where men, women, and sometimes children packed local fruit to send across the United States. While many of the Californios remained in the area after California’s statehood, and several Mexican immigrants arrived through the turn of the 20th century to help build the railroads and work in agriculture, it was not until after World War I that the Hispanic and African American populations quickly began to expand. Migrants came