San Marcos (Images of America)
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
According to legend, the name San Marcos can be attributed to a group of Spaniards who, while out on a mission to capture suspected horse thieves, accidently stumbled upon a beautiful little valley on the feast day of St. Mark. This little valley would remain sparsely populated for years to come, as a Mexican land grant tenanted by vaqueros, an agricultural salvation for homesteading early Californians, and the site of small towns that would nearly disappear between the pages of history. With the arrival of the Santa Fe Railroad, eventual official incorporation in 1963, and continuous progression today, San Marcos has formed an identity as a prospering and growing community that still retains the feel of a rural small town.
a local water source from San Marcos Creek, which he claimed was a “creek full of malaria pools” but could “provide a source of water” within the region. Eubank was regarded foremost for being the developer of Old California Restaurant Row. Conceived as an idea to change the image of San Marcos, which Eubank claimed was “the heart of North County,” to the old Spanish rancho style, many claimed his project would fail and joked the “official bird of San Marcos was the horsefly.” Opened in 1978,
teacher was Millie J. Littlefield who was paid $60 a month. The next year, construction was completed on the Twin Oaks School, pictured here. School children enjoy a graduation day softball game. The much larger Twin Oaks School replaced the tiny schoolhouse, which was once again hauled back to the Merriam Ranch, where it stood until 1974. The Twin Oaks School operated under the Twin Oaks School District until 1939, before being taken over by the Escondido District and closed in 1944, although
Mersman, pictured on the left, would drive his four children to the 1910 Schoolhouse in their Durant automobile. The school board paid Mersman to replace the seats of his car (pictured) with wooden benches and make several trips to pick up other children. In 1930, the board bought him a 1930 Model A Ford, which he drove as the local school bus until World War II. 101 Pictured here in 1940 with a shovel, Mary Young Conners was honored at the dedication of a community center for which she had
Marcos, which to this day remains unincorporated, included the first built-in residential cable television in California, a 36-room motel, a shopping center complete with a neighborhood gift shop, and the Lakeside Community Recreation Building, pictured here during a late 1960s Fourth of July picnic. Originally advertised as a community specifically designed for an “active retirement,” Lake San Marcos events focused almost entirely on the senior community. With two 18-hole golf courses, golfing
sections to the corner of San Marcos Boulevard and Pico Avenue. Arrangements were then made for the congregations to converge, and for the Richland church to be sawed in half and placed on both sides of the new church as wings. When the San Marcos Methodist Episcopal Church, pictured below in 1910, was completed, only the steeple was missing from the original Richland Church. The church now stands on Rose Ranch Road and is known as Grace Episcopal Church of the Valley. 36 Four A Tour of the